Armenian Volunteer Corps

Welcome to the Armenian Volunteer Corps (AVC) blog. Here our volunteers and alumni reflect on their experiences living and volunteering in Armenia. For more information about our programs, visit our website www.armenianvolunteer.org, follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Armenianvolunteer or drop us an email: info@avc.am .

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Last Recap with SunChild Rebecca


Rebecca Kandilian
USA

As usual, lots of highs and lows but overall a great week in the Syunik region.

Also, this time around I was able to squeeze in a trip with the fellow volunteers to Gharapagh. Unlike most other volunteers, I have not really been in one place enough to make or maintain any sort of a contact with the other volunteers. It had also been a while since I had socialized with folks my age but I quickly found likeminded people and made some long lasting friendships. But, socializing with coworkers and natives is quite an experience itself. For the past two months, I have been away from any and all comfort zones, with locals, no prejudgment, no familial relations, nothing just them and Rebecca. And, to be able to keep your ground, stay true to yourself, do what you’re supposed to and for them to understand and appreciate it all builds character. So, as my professor used to always say ‘try it (volunteering outside of Yerevan and Gyumri) you might like it’.

After spending the weekend with the other volunteers, I rejoined the green bus folks and two days later we drove back to Yerevan. I return to Los Angeles in two days. Million dollar question: How do you feel? Very grateful. Yes, there were as much lows as there were highs but that is part of the process and it is quite unrealistic to expect otherwise. In a weird way, looking back, I am thankful for those lows too because without them some things may have not accomplished.

I must now thank AVC and BR staff for their support and also YOU for reading. Should you have any questions, comments about my volunteer experience or otherwise please feel free to contact me directly at rkandilian@gmail.com.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home