Armenian Volunteer Corps

Welcome to the Armenian Volunteer Corps (AVC) blog. Here our volunteers and alumni reflect on their experiences living and volunteering in Armenia. For more information about our programs, visit our website www.armenianvolunteer.org, follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Armenianvolunteer or drop us an email: info@avc.am .

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Getting Started


Tigran Khatchikyan
USA

When I landed in Hayastan, I saw my papik, tatik, keri, the staff from the Armenian Volunteer Corps (AVC) and Birthright Armenia and my homestay father, who is also Deaf. My grandparents were kissing and hugging me as if they had not seen me for a long time. The staff, the host father and I were introduced to one another. My host father’s name is Frunzik. He welcomed us all to his home.

After everyone left expect Frunzik and me, I talked with Frunzik. After a few hours, I went to the Deaf Center and met Shari, the AVC director, Grgor, who is the director of the Deaf Center, and some of the other people who work at the Deaf Center.

The next day I went to the AVC and Birthright Armenia for an orientation with Shari, Sevan Kabakian, the Director of Birthright Armenia, and two other volunteers who had come from Canada.

I have not started to volunteer at the Deaf Center; however, in the two weeks period, I have participated in many activities with Birthright Armenia, such as a basketball game with volunteers, and several excursion including to Noravank and Khor Virap monasteries, and Areni village. I met the Defense Minister of Armenia. And, I went on a four day excursion to Artsakh (Karabakh).

Although I have not started working at the Deaf Center, I have been volunteering at the AVC office. I am looking forward to working at the Deaf Center as soon as possible because I am ready to start volunteering!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home